Monday, October 29, 2012

Today, October 29, 2012

Today’s project:  Does this bustle make my butt look big?

I know this will be the biggest shocker of all time, but today I worked on my Steampunk outfit.  I know, I know, didn’t see that one coming did you?

Well at the risk of boring you, Dear Reader, here is the next element of my costume:  the bustle.

Since I managed to create at least a temporarily working bustle piece, I was able to fold and drape the fabric on the back of my dress.  I have already sewed an underskirt (bits of which you have seen in previous posts) so this bit is more dressing than practical.  I like to make my bustles separate so that I can mix and match the parts with other skirts and jackets.  Although I’m not sure I will ever pair this with something else, I like the idea of options.  I’m a changeable creature at heart and parts that are inter-workable are wonderful!

Here is what I started with as inspiration for this whole piece:

I know it just looks like a bundle of fabric, but it started life as a comforter.  Really.  One of those double-sided numbers with the floral on one side and the plaid on the other. I took it apart before I snapped a pic, but here is a similar one:

I have to admit, I’m a sucker for a cute plaid or polka dot pattern.  Addtionally, I love to explore color for my Steampunk pieces.  Usually there is nothing but drab browns and blacks on people at the cons and my Steampunk Sister and myself were kinda tired of seeing the same ol’ color scheme.  Our solution: we will wear pinks and blues and reds and not apologize for it one little bit! Yeah!

The usual asthetic of Steampunk is one of a kind of ‘rough and ready’ traveler, so the brown and black isn’t totally inappropriate, but really isn’t our style.  Also, the Victorian pictures from the age may be in black and white, but that doesn’t mean that all the people dressed in shades of grey.  In fact, quite the opposite, as my research shows descriptions of gowns in glorious oranges, yellows, pinks and blues.  To give the feel of a ‘vintage’ look overall, I choose muted versions of these tones; giving the impression of a faded photo.

Here’s the look I’m aiming for:

Fortunately, Steampunk doesn’t really require re-enactment level shapes (although there are many people who do go all out period-wise, and it is a glorious sight – I applaud those who take the time and effort to make something truly authentic).  I’m really just hoping for the overall impression of the shape to imply the time period.  As such, my bustle is waaaay smaller than what the historical era would call for, but I think you get the idea.

Here are some more shots of the finished product:

Details, details:

With the jacket:

A friend recently asked me: ‘Why, oh WHY, did the women do that weird thing of putting extra bits on their buts and hips.  Why purposefully make yourself look bigger than you are?’

My answer is a simple one, because my opinion is, the reason is simple… All of these pieces are designed to make your waist look as small as possible.  Corsets were created to literally make your waist as small as you could physically tolerate, but all the extra padding everywhere else leant to adding to the illusion.

Some days, I wish we still bought into this idea. At least then I could claim that that round thing following me around was a pillow.  Yeah.  That’s it. A pillow. 

[That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!]

No comments:

Post a Comment