Saturday, October 27, 2012

Today, October 27, 2012

Today’s Project:  Punk it up!

The other day, I had a lovely lunch with my Steampunk Sister in which we had yummy treats, great conversation and plotted our plans for our next adventure: TeslaCon. Squee!


As we were solving the world’s problems and designing some kick-butt costumes, my friend pointed out that we had about a month to get our act together.  The result of that little fact-nugget?  Rora panicked!

I had already begun the bigger of the two (or three) outfits I had planned as new pieces for the con, but realized that I really needed to get my butt in gear.

My poor sweetie, who is very supportive of my creative craziness, is surrounded by fabric, thread bits and weird metal widgets.  Good thing he loves me!

Which means, Dear Reader, you also will be inundated with Steampunk over the next couple of weeks….sorry about that! =)  Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll break up the creative monotony with other little projects; gotta keep you guessing!

Today, I thought that I would show the jacket that I worked up for my newest piece.

Here is what I bought at the thrift store:


It is your typical hip-grandma number, but I really liked the embroidery, which is accented with seed beads.  This has a Victorian feel, I think, since many items were hand embroidered and beaded.  I also like the detail of the exposed serging on the seams.  I thought that this lent a little to the ‘punk’. However, the shape and cut are all wrong.  Plus, I wanted to add some of the fabric that I’m planning on using for the bustle to tie the look together.

Here is the result:

Details on the collar…

And the cuff…

Sew some gears on it and it’s Steampunk!

The back…


And there we are, Dear Reader, the first step in outfit number one!  Prepare for more adventures in fabric, duct tape and hot glue as we create two more outfits and all the gadgets and doodads that go with it!  YAY for adult dress-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment