Saturday, October 13, 2012

Today, October 13, 2012

Today’s project:  Be OK with being boring

Today happened to be the first day in several weeks that both my sweetie and myself had nothing planned; no work, no kids, no ‘just gotta run and---.’

Both of us resisted the temptation to fill our empty day with activities.  Ok, really, I told my wonderful man to stop trying to suggest things to do. Several things presented themselves as options: visitng family, doing chores, going out on the town (which entails not a whole lot given budget restraints).  Fortunately, my love conceded that I was right and we ended up with a gloriously free day.

What did we do?  A whole lot of nothin’! Much of the day was spent watching movies, snacking and napping. Boring, boring, boring.  Bliss, bliss, bliss

And then came the time to figure out what I was going to post on my blog…Crap.  More nothin’. That’s what came into my mind. 

I’m sitting here apologizing to my sweetie for having married a chick who is essentially, pretty durn boring.  At least today, I am. ;)

I find that the more I ‘mature’ the more value I find in the simple things of life.  Curling up on the couch, watching a movie. Reading a good book, being transported to another time or place. Exploring traditional crafts, like knitting, crocheting or needlework.  Rediscovering lost arts, such as letter-writing, flower arranging or sewing.  And one of the things that I envy is the time and wherewithal to explore quiet and meditation.

Then it occurred to me, in our society of go-go-go, having a day with nothing to do is a rare, sweet gift.  So, why is it that when we are presented with such a fabulous thing, the first thing we try to do is give it away?  Filling the empty time with frivolous ‘I should---’s or ‘it will just take a sec to---‘, and such.

So, today, I’m enjoying the fact that I didn’t do anything….nothing at all of note. Nothing to take pics of and post.  Nothing to make you go ‘oooohhhh’ over.  Sorry.  But I hope that I gave you a little thing to think about.  Something to ponder when you are in the car stuck in traffic, running from one errand/meeting to another, stressed out over all the things that ‘have’ to be done today. 

I encourage you, dear reader, to relish, covet, and cherish the times when you have the opportunity to do nothing. Allow yourself to find a spot where the task of the day is to be boring.  Be as boring as you dare…and enjoy ever second of it.  For it is a gift that doesn’t often return.

No comments:

Post a Comment